06 November, 2006

The Secret Place

It's great how sometimes children's books can still take us where we need to go, when we need to be there.. here's one by Dennis Lee-- the Canadian poet who wrote Garbage Delight and Alligator Pie (two great collections of children's poetry)
------------------------

There's a place I go, inside myself,
Where nobody else can be,
And none of my friends can tell it's there—
Nobody knows but me.

It's hard to explain the way it feels,
Or even where I go.
It isn't a place in time or space,
But once I'm there, I know.

It's tiny, it's shiny, it can't be seen,
But it's big as the sky at night . . .
I try to explain and it hurts my brain,
But once I'm there, it's right.

There's a place I know inside myself,
And it's neither big nor small,
And whenever I go, it feels as though
I never left at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

His beautiful face is all I can think of...

Megs said...

woah woah...there is another megs in your life. i'm shoked. i'm apalled. i'm ...well it's ok as long as you don't call her meggles...cuz that's me!
oh and yes great great literature!

You might also like...